Installing ENGAGE on a Chromebook
ENGAGE for Chromebooks is newly available for users to install on compatible devices. For information about how ENGAGE for Chromebooks compares with ENGAGE for other platforms, see Restricted features.
To ensure stability of the ENGAGE application, we recommend that you disable automatic updates to Chrome OS. For more information, see Disabling automatic updates. If you encounter problems that you attribute to a ChromeOS update, you can attempt to roll back the version. For more information, see Rolling back to a previous ChromeOS version.
First check that your Chromebook meets the following minimum requirements:
- ChromeOS 109.0.5414.125
- Snapdragon Qualcomm 7180 (ARM64) or Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 (x86-64)
- 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM
- Intel HD Graphics 500
- 32 GB eMMC with 9 GB of available storage
We recommend devices that use ARM chipsets, such as the Acer Chromebook Spin 513. Other devices may provide better performance, but are untested.
If your Chromebook meets the minimum requirements, complete the following steps to install ENGAGE:
- 1.Open the Play Store from the Launcher.
- 2.In the search box, type
engage xr, and then press the enter key.
- 3.In the search results, select the ENGAGE app.
- 4.Select INSTALL.
The Play Store search result for the ENGAGE app
You can now open the ENGAGE app from the Launcher.
ENGAGE for Chromebooks provides functionality that sits between ENGAGE for desktop devices and ENGAGE for mobile devices. This reflects the capabilities of the Chromebook hardware.
The following features of ENGAGE are not available on Chromebooks:
- Creation of recordings
- Desktop sharing
- Delivery of forms
- Access to the Content Editor
- Use of the camera to take a selfie of your avatar
At each release, the ENGAGE application is compatible with the most recent version of ChromeOS. However, we can't guarantee that the ENGAGE application will be compatible with subsequent versions of ChromeOS. We recommend that you disable automatic updates of ChromeOS, and manually update ChromeOS with each release of ENGAGE.
The current version of ENGAGE is 3.2 and it is compatible with ChromeOS up to 109.0.5414.125.
To disable automatic updates, complete the following steps:
- 1.In the lower right corner of the screen, select the clock icon.
- 2.In the panel that appears, select the cog icon.
- 3.In the upper left corner Settings window, select the navigation icon (☰).
- 4.Select About Chrome OS.
- 5.On the About Chrome OS page, select Additional details.
- 6.On the Additional details page, turn the Updates toggle off.
If you complete the roll back process, you will erase all information on your device. Ensure that you create a copy of any important data that is stored on the device before you roll back.
To roll back to the previous ChromeOS version on your device, complete the following steps:
- 1.Press Ctrl + Alt + T.
- 2.In the crosh terminal window, type
rollback, and then press Enter.